Saturday, November 28, 2009

Wardrobe Colors by the Month



In a recent article in the Wall Street Journal Christina Binkley wrote about Holiday attire and the short number of weeks we might wear something like a red velvet dress. I certainly have a few items that only get worn in December. For years I have hung out on my hall rack a 3/4 length red and green plaid Carlisle coat that I wear multiple times per week all through December. I think the red silk dress pictured here can be worn October through March and not simply December though.



I actually tend to go through my favorite colors to wear by the month. In October and November it's my orange tops. My base tends to be brown. My December it's naturally anything red often with black bottoms. Though I wear red accessories almost year round. In January-February I love wool sweaters and pants in winter white. By Spring I am into corals and aqua blue. The hot days of summer it's often bright lemon yellow or lime green cottons with crisp whites.



As I buy classics these seasonally rotated clothes are in my wardrobe for years. Though many pieces can be worn any time of year, they just cry out to be worn certain months especially.



All this is somewhat mirrored by my home decor. I rotate my accessories by the seasons. In January and February it's mirrors with crystal vases and bowls and white candles to pick up the weaker winter light. Come Spring it's flowers and bunnies. In Summer I display all my seashells.



Am I alone in the joy of expressing the flow of the year by the rotation of my clothes or household decor? Certainly retailers hope other women do the same!






No comments: